Free and Open to the Public!
The Observatory, located at 178 Big Wolf Road, is open for viewing on every clear Friday evening from Memorial Day through Labor Day; after Labor Day it is open for public viewing on the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month. Observing starts about ½ hour after sunset.
See our Observing Conditions page for weather conditions and Facebook for observing and cancelation notices. To get the latest information about the observatory, join our mailing list.
Private viewing sessions can be arranged for $150 for up to 20 people. Please call the office at (518) 359-3538 or email us to make arrangements.
Office & Gift Shop - 36 High Street, Tupper Lake
- Monday - Friday, 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Observatory - 178 Big Wolf Road, Tupper Lake (14° 15.287' N, 74° 28.225' W)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May) to Labor Day (first Monday of September): Every Friday evening when the sky is clear
- Labor Day (first Monday of September) to Memorial Day (last Monday in May): 1st and 3rd Friday of each month when the sky is clear
Directions to the Observatory from Main Street (Rt. 3):
- Turn onto Washington Street and drive 0.6 miles.
- Turn left onto Coney Beach Avenue, which turns into Little Wolf Road.
- After about 0.3 miles, continue straight up the hill onto Big Wolf Road.
- The observatory entrance will be on your left.
Check the Events, Calendar, Observing Conditions and Facebook pages for observing events, times and conditions. Please note that the observatory is generally not open during the day. Call the office at (518) 359-3538 if you have any questions.